Point of Infinity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Inventing a feat?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet
Race: Not telling ;)
Classes: Monk 4/Rogue 1/Drunken Master 2/Five Animals Fist Fighter 2

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010, 10:00

Just a quick question about inventing a feat. (Well hopefully it's quick hehe)

The practiced spellcaster feat, raises your caster level by 4, up to a maximum of your character level.

Can I invent a practiced monk feat, that would increase my monk level by 4 for determining monk level dependent stuff? (Subject to the same maximum, character level) I could only use 3 levels of this at the moment, and only 1 level increase for unarmed damage, but still!

There are various feats which mean monk levels stack with something else, with no limit (eg Ascetic rogue), so I don't think this would be unbalanced.

Basically it would increase my monk level for unarmed damage, stunning fist, ac bonus, and things like how much is healed with wholeness of body (when I get it) and my spell resistance (when I get it in about 6 levels time heh).
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet
Race: Omnipotent Being
Classes: God

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010, 10:08

Without any thought at all i would say yes. But i'd need more info really.

The main thing would be that the whole thing is in keeping with your character.
If it is something like adding a splash of caster levels then i'm not so sure as it's pretty far removed from your other classes, and the 'ascetic' feats do tend to focus on one class that complements the monk.

Hmmm....
Now i've made myself unsure Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://point-of-infinity.blogspot.com
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010, 12:30

Lol!

Yeah, the idea was so that my drunken master levels and current rogue level stack for the purposes of monk level dependent stuff. As drunken master already stacks for damage, this would mean for damage purposes, I would only (at this point) be gaining one extra levels-worth as it were, gaining the second when/if I ever get round to doing the second level of rogue.

I don't think this is a huge thing, bearing in mind unarmed damage only goes up every four levels, ac every 5 levels, speed every four levels etc.

The main difference with the ascetic feats is that there is no limit to how many levels can stack, but they tend to make less things stack if that makes sense? So in theory with ascetic rogue, you can do one level of monk, 19 levels of rogue, but your unarmed damage would be the same as a 20th level monk (and your stunning dc increases for sneak attacks).

With this feat, more elements would stack, but you would be limited to (up to) 4 levels worth.

And to reasurre you, no it's not going to give me any caster levels of anything hehe. Hope that all makes sense, might be easier to talk to you about it tonight, we don't get a feat until 9th anyhow! Inventing a feat? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeFri 13 Aug 2010, 22:33

Seems ok mate. Will chat about it this evening Wink
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 02:14

Ok to clarify the rulings on this feat. My main concern is that the feat remains balanced, neither under nor over-powered.

So here goes:

Stoic Monk
Due to your determination to remain on the path of the monk, despite the occasional dalliance into other careers, you are able to focus your abilities as though you had never left your chosen path.

The character is considered to be upto 4 levels higher when determining any effect that calls for the character's monk level to be factored into the equation (eg. Stunning Fist DC, Diamond Soul, etc.). The character must have enough character levels in other classes to accomodate these virtual abilities, otherwise the bonus will remain at total ECL - monk level.

It does not confer special abilities that are beyond the base level of the monk, any progression in Flurry of Blows, AC bonus. It does however increase the Unarmed Damage and Unarmoured Speed bonuses to that of a monk upto 4 levels higher.

The wording may seem a little ungainly at the moment but i'm hoping for any input into this as i'm still a little unsure.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet
Race: Warforged
Classes: Artificer 6/ Fighter (Bodyguard)2

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 02:31

Just my two cents but that appears fitting compared to the practiced spellcaster

PRACTICED SPELLCASTER
Choose a spellcasting class that you possess. Your spells cast from that class are more powerful.
Prerequisite: Spellcraft 4 ranks.

Benefi t: Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by 4. This benefi t can’t increase your caster level
to higher than your Hit Dice. However, even if you can’t benefi t from the full bonus immediately, if you later gain
Hit Dice in levels of nonspellcasting classes, you might be able to apply the rest of the bonus.

For example, a human 5th-level sorcerer/3rd-level fi ghter who selects this feat would increase his sorcerer caster level from 5th
to 8th (since he has 8 Hit Dice). If he later gained a fi ghter level, he would gain the remainder of the bonus and his sorcerer caster
level would become 9th (since he now has 9 Hit Dice). A character with two or more spellcasting classes (such as
a bard/sorcerer or a ranger/druid) must choose which class gains the feat’s effect.

This feat does not affect your spells per day or spells
known. It increases your caster level only, which would help
you penetrate spell resistance and increase the duration and
other effects of your spells.

Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time
you choose it, you must apply it to a different spellcasting
class. For instance, a 4th-level cleric/5th-level wizard who had
selected this feat twice would cast cleric spells
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet
Race: Warforged
Classes: Artificer 6/ Fighter (Bodyguard)2

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 02:34

So as discussed before if I ever get a free (yer right ) feat something simliar is there for Artificer ?

Basical increasing my infusion duration, affective level for DC ect. by 4
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 03:21

'Practiced Artificer' is perfectly fine imho. It simply reflects Practiced Spellcaster for a different spellcasting class Wink
Back to top Go down
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 05:47

Infinity wrote:
Ok to clarify the rulings on this feat. My main concern is that the feat remains balanced, neither under nor over-powered.

So here goes:

Stoic Monk
Due to your determination to remain on the path of the monk, despite the occasional dalliance into other careers, you are able to focus your abilities as though you had never left your chosen path.

The character is considered to be upto 4 levels higher when determining any effect that calls for the character's monk level to be factored into the equation (eg. Stunning Fist DC, Diamond Soul, etc.). The character must have enough character levels in other classes to accomodate these virtual abilities, otherwise the bonus will remain at total ECL - monk level.

It does not confer special abilities that are beyond the base level of the monk, any progression in Flurry of Blows, AC bonus. It does however increase the Unarmed Damage and Unarmoured Speed bonuses to that of a monk upto 4 levels higher.

The wording may seem a little ungainly at the moment but i'm hoping for any input into this as i'm still a little unsure.

Cheers

My thoughts were that the feat would improve your effective monk level by up to 4 levels (subject to a maximum of your character level) for all level dependent monk abilities that you already possess. This feat would not however, give you monk feats/special abilities any earlier that you would normally acquire them.

(So a 9th level monk/4th level rogue with this feat, will still not have diamond soul. However upon reaching 13th level monk/4th level rogue, the four levels of rogue would stack with the monk levels for determining how effective the spell resistance was.)

I was thinking it would stack with the AC bonus, as you already have an ac bonus as a monk? Not that this is vital, you get +1 AC every five levels, so even an extra four levels would not necessarily grant an extra +1). Flurry is a more interesting one, as obviously you already have flurry as a monk, but if you don't get greater flurry until later, no big deal, but I think it might still reduce the penalty for flurrying?

In essence, this feat would improve my effective level by one for unarmed damage, as drunken master already stacks (no actual increase, it becomes 1d10 next level anway).
I would get 4 more stunning fists per day.
My effective level would improve by three for unarmoured speed (+10ft), slow fall (+20ft), and potentially ac bonus (subject to the above) which would be +0 at level 9.
Again, subject to the above, my penalty for flurrying may reduce from -1 to 0.
When/if I finally get them, my level would improve by three levels for how much is healed by wholeness of body, and how effective diamond soul is.

Hmm looking at this, I am starting to talk myself out of this feat if AC/flurry don't stack lol, as I'm not going to see that much benefit from this for a while!

I might be better off taking Ascetic Rogue, meaning any and all rogue levels stack with monk levels for unarmed damage, gives +2DC on stunning fist from a sneak attack and free multiclassing with rogue/monk.

If only there was a feat that made all of your monk levels stack with your rogue levels for determining sneak attack damage Smile Like Daring Outlaw does with swashbuckler!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Inventing a feat? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Inventing a feat?   Inventing a feat? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inventing a feat?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Point of Infinity :: Out-of-Character :: Rules Questions-
Jump to: