Point of Infinity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Becoming Un-Bearable

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet
Race: Shifter
Classes: Scout 1/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3/ War Shaper 4/ Were Touched Master 5/Primeval 4/Shifter Paragon 1

Becoming Un-Bearable Empty
PostSubject: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeSun 19 Sep 2010, 03:10

Dave I was just looking at the Bear Warrior career ( Complete Warrior, p16) If Ajax changes into a brown bear would his magical armour remain on his new bear form ?

If not would the Wilding clasp magical item work to help him keep his armour ( it say's it works for people who Wildshape) ?
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet
Race: Omnipotent Being
Classes: God

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeSun 19 Sep 2010, 23:00

Thats a good question.

Firstly, the bear warrior's ability to change form isn't wild shape, it states that it is similar to polymorph. The Wilding Clasp only works on a druid's wild shape ability.

Secondly, the sample bear warrior in the book seems to have no armour, but his bracers of armour are not mentioned as being discounted from his AC (Magic items re-size to fit their new owner... aside from weapons and armour), and they provide an armour bonus which is similar to armour - the probable reason he is wearing no armour is that the AC doesn't confer to his new form.... Also note that he does not gain any armour or weapon proficiency which would back this up - it is a natural weapon and armour PrC. As it stands, as a black bear you gain +2 Natural AC and a brown bear gets +5.

I've posted a bunch of links below with regard to the bear warrior

Thread here
and here
and here

Have you thought about the "Primeval" class, Frostburn p.65, it is a similar PrC but more customisable
Back to top Go down
http://point-of-infinity.blogspot.com
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet
Classes: Scout 1/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3/ War Shaper 4/ Were Touched Master 5/Primeval 4/Shifter Paragon 1

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 00:51

Ok so Wilding clasp doesn't work.

The threads don't really agree so I need a GM ruling. What would happen to my magical gear ? Which, if any, remain when I change.

I'll check out the Primeval class ( or I would if I had the book )

Also could anybody tell me where I can find this Mouth Pick weapon they refer to ? I can't find it in Savage Species at all.
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 06:45

As I said earlier...
Infinity wrote:
Magic items re-size to fit their new owner... aside from weapons and armour

The druid's wild shape ability means that magic items are absorbed into the body, thus rendering them unusable (this is why they need the Wilding Clasp).

I would rule that there is a limit on this resizing to one size category, simply due to the fact that there are items out there that were once, say, a bracelet for a giant and are now a neck item for a human. This restriction is not set in stone as I would have to double check the DMG.

Hope this helps Wink
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 06:46

p.s.
-5 XP for soiling the forums with such a terrible pun...
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 06:58

Code:
  I would rule that there is a limit on this resizing to one size category, simply due to the fact that there are items out there that were once, say, a bracelet for a giant and are now a neck item for a human. This restriction is not set in stone as I would have to double check the DMG.

Well as black bear are medium I would presume I can use all my gear but my sword and shield, which bears don't have the hands for. Is that okay

Quote :
p.s.
-5 XP for soiling the forums with such a terrible pun..

Very funny Dave
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 07:06

Yes it is fine, and yes I am funny Wink
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 07:09

I'm glad you confirm that it was a joke

losing XP would be more than I could bear
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 07:21

Don't push it....
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 08:33

Oh the temptation
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 08:39

Would I be right in assuming that the BEAST CLAWS item ( Savage Species p49) would work if I was a bear.

Thnaks for all this help I will reward you by making no more bear puns
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 10:00

I would think that they would be ok. Will have to double check though, i've not got the book in front of me at the mo.
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 22:10

The Beast Claws are fine for you to use. I've managed to dig out the mouthpick weapon property for you too.

Lords of Madness p.46
Mouthpick Weapon:
Although most beholders are content with the vast power afforded by their eye rays and antimagic cone, some revel in the act of melee combat and enjoy the sensation of crushing bone and cutting flesh. For these beholders, a mouthpick weapon is a valued treasure indeed.
Mouthpick is a weapon quality that can be added to any melee weapon. The weapon must be of a size the beholder would normally use, or it takes a penalty for using an awkwardly sized weapon. Mouthpick weapons are of Large size.
Only creatures with a natural bite attack can wield a mouthpick weapon. A mouthpick weapon looks similar to a normal weapon, but when a qualifying creature places the handle of the weapon in its mouth, the handle writhes and transforms into a shape that can be wielded easily in the creature’s jaws.
The creature’s natural bite attack is now replaced by the weapon attack; if the creature has a sufficiently high base attack, it can even gain additional attacks with the mouthpick weapon.
While wielded in a creature’s mouth, the weapon automatically grants the creature proficiency in its use.
Recently, mouthpick weapons have begun to gain favor among other creatures that lack hands but have a natural bite attack. They are particularly useful to druids who wish to continue wielding their favorite weapon while in a wild shape form.
Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fabricate; Price +1 bonus.
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeMon 20 Sep 2010, 23:30

Thank you very much Dave

Of course now I'm completely confused. Primeval is the better career but requires two crappy feats to get into

Whereas Bear Warrior isn't as good but only requires one good Feat and I can use it more than once a day
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Sep 2010, 08:23

Would Dire Tiger be all right for my Primeval shape ?

( It's not the hardest but does fit in with Ajax's general tigerness)
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeTue 21 Sep 2010, 09:21

Of course. I thought that would be what you'd go for. Either that or the sabre tooth, can't remember what it's called in d&d tho...
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeThu 30 Sep 2010, 23:31

So Dave any thoughts on the Feats required for Primeval ?
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 04:43

Not yet matey. To be honest i'd forgotten, so thanks for the reminder Wink
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 05:22

Replace 'toughness' with 'improved natural attack' to reflect the growing nature of the beast.
Remove 'self-sufficient' from the feat prerequisite list.
Add, 'character must possess at least one natural attack'.
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitimeFri 01 Oct 2010, 08:08

Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Becoming Un-Bearable   Becoming Un-Bearable I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Becoming Un-Bearable
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Point of Infinity :: Out-of-Character :: Rules Questions-
Jump to: