Point of Infinity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Primeval

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet
Race: Shifter
Classes: Scout 1/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3/ War Shaper 4/ Were Touched Master 5/Primeval 4/Shifter Paragon 1

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitimeTue 20 Sep 2011, 08:56

Dave as I've hit Primeval much sooner than expected I'm not sure if we ever settled the question what happens to Ajax's gear when he takes on his Primeval form ?
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet
Race: Omnipotent Being
Classes: God

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 03:30

Frostburn - Primeval Form
This functions similarly to the druid's Wild Shape ability

SRD - Wild Shape
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the druid reverts to her true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on her body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the druid's feet.

However, Wilding Clasp (Magic Item Compendium p.190) will prevent 1 item from changing with you, thus allowing you to utilise it's abilities as long as it would fit your new form.

Hope this answers your question Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://point-of-infinity.blogspot.com
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet
Classes: Scout 1/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3/ War Shaper 4/ Were Touched Master 5/Primeval 4/Shifter Paragon 1

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 03:57

Loath as I am to argue with the D.M. but to quote :

Quote :
This ability functions like the polymorph spell,
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 04:43

Please note highlighted text.

Polymorph Subschool text from Complete Mage
----------------------------------------------------------
THE POLYMORPH SUBSCHOOL
A feature introduced in Player's Handbook II and further developed in this book is the polymorph subschool, which is defined and explained below.
A spell of the polymorph subschool changes the target's form from one shape to another. Unless stated otherwise in the spell's description, the target of a polymorph spell takes on all the statistics and special abilities of an average member of the new form in place of its own except as follows:
• The target retains its own alignment (and personality, within the limits of the new form's ability scores).
• The target retains its own hit points. The target is treated has having its normal Hit Dice for purpose of adjudicating effects based on HD, such as the sleep spell, though it uses the new form's base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and all other statistics derived from Hit Dice.
• The target retains the ability to understand the languages it understands in its normal form. If the new form is normally capable of speech, the target retains the ability to speak these languages as well. It can write in the languages it understands, but only if the new form is capable of writing in some manner (even a primitive manner, such as drawing in the dirt with a paw).
In all other ways, the target's normal game statistics are effectively replaced by those of the new form. The target loses all of the special abilities it has in its normal form, including its class features (even if the new form would normally be able to use these class features).
If the new form's size is different from the target's normal size, its new space must share as much of the original form's space as possible, squeezing into the available space (PH 148) if necessary. If insufficient space exists for the new form, the spell fails.
Any gear worn or carried by the target melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When the target reverts to its true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on its body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the target's feet.
The spellcaster can freely designate the new form's minor physical qualities (such as hair color and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form's significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under the spellcaster's control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form's kind. The target of a polymorph spell is effectively camouflaged as a creature of its new form, and gains a +10 bonus on Disguise checks if it uses this ability to create a disguise.
If the target of a polymorph spell is slain or rendered unconscious, the spell ends. Any part of the body that is separated from the whole remains polymorphed until the effect ends.
Incorporeal or gaseous creatures are immune to polymorph spells, as are creatures of the plant type. A creature with the shapechanger subtype (such as a lycanthrope or doppelganger) can revert to its natural form as a standard action.
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 09:39

Hmm

Quote :
In all other ways, the target's normal game statistics are effectively replaced by those of the new form. The target loses all of the special abilities it has in its normal form, including its class features (even if the new form would normally be able to use these class features).

So this means I losew all my class features, that makes Primeval pretty damn awful as Prestige Career then.

Also
Quote :
In all other ways, the target's normal game statistics are effectively replaced by those of the new form.

With Primeval they aren't, they're modified by the new form but not replaced.

Unfortunately Primeval behaves like Wildshape and Polymorph but isn't either, so doesn't behave exactly like them
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitimeFri 23 Sep 2011, 16:38

Ajax the astounding wrote:
Unfortunately Primeval behaves like Wildshape and Polymorph but isn't either, so doesn't behave exactly like them

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. As far as equipment goes, the ruling is common to both polymorph and wild shape, so that stands imho.
As far as the other points go, 'Primeval Form' wording over-rules them. I will discuss this with you further tonight as I don't have my books with me. I don't want you regretting a choice you've made because of rules confusions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Primeval Empty
PostSubject: Re: Primeval   Primeval I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Primeval
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Point of Infinity :: Out-of-Character :: Rules Questions-
Jump to: