Point of Infinity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Where to Live?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet
Race: Elf (Khorvaire)
Classes: Healer 7

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeWed 02 Dec 2009, 11:29

Are there any suggestions on where we want to relocate to. I know the city pretty well and could perhaps help guide us to a place that may be suitable, if you caould all just give some guidelines as to neighbourhood, monthly rent (or perhaps buying), amenities that people need nearby, whether people are ok with living in an area with a higher racial populace...etc....etc....
Or if you have a place in mind perhaps we could take a look there.
I know it's not going to be important for a few weeks at least, due to our little sojourn we have planned, but it would be nice to come home to a plan of action.
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet
Race: Warforged
Classes: Artificer 6/ Fighter (Bodyguard)2

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeWed 02 Dec 2009, 19:00

I have only to requirements dear Katerina, a workshop/forge and a room for my alchemy lab. I'll willingly pay upto or around 30 gp a month if it means we can all live together and get what we need from the housing.
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet
Race: Talenta Halfling
Classes: Ranger 4 Fighter 4 Halfling Outrider 5 Heir of Siberys 3

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 04:15

I will need some sort of stable for Sharpeye and Reaver.
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet
Race: Shifter
Classes: Scout 1/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3/ War Shaper 4/ Were Touched Master 5/Primeval 4/Shifter Paragon 1

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 04:28

I used to live int he Fallen so obviously I'm not fussy. Defensible, in an area where the Watch won't hassle me and with a good tavern nearby is about all I ask.
3o GP is the high end of what I was thinking about but I could manage that
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 04:40

Ok. I'll look into it then.
Hopefully I'll find a few suitable places that we can look into.
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet
Classes: Scout 1/Barbarian 1/ Ranger 3/ War Shaper 4/ Were Touched Master 5/Primeval 4/Shifter Paragon 1

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 10:44

Not too girly please
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 22:41

Well that all depends on what your idea of "girly" is...
Most civilised folk use the term "stylish", it's something you will learn to appreciate in time my dear flea ridden friend (smiles with obvious sarcasm).
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 01:35

Ajax are you thinking 30gp each a month or 30 gp total for the group a month? I was thinking for the whole group that would only be 6gp each a month, I would imagine for 30 gp each, 150 gp per month we would be somewhere really nice, I not sure maybe the pays inside of the Cogs are much more expensive.

Katerina?
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 01:40

With the sort of space needed for workshops, labs, stables etc, 30 gp each might not be that far out. I was paying 20 gp for my home in Little Plains.
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 01:48

Ok here's a rough guide to costs for buying and renting properties, from one of Sharns more reputabe estate agencies, "Spires and Young Estate Agency".
Due to our requirements these prices will likely be more...

These are purely homes without work areas or stables.

To rent a poor residence it would cost us between 1 - 4 gold a month.
To buy a poor residence, 100 - 400 gold.

To rent an average residence it would cost us between 10 - 40 gold a month.
To buy an average residence, 100 - 400 gold.

To rent an upscale residence it would cost us between 20 - 160 gold a month.
To buy an upscale residence, 5000 - 40000 gold.

I have been reasonably assured that for our requirements these prices would likely be doubled. Plus a workshop, or indeed any production venue also levvies a manufacturing tax paid to the city at 10% the value of the property, regardles of whether it is rented or owned.
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 01:50

You have to bear in mind that there are five of us wishing to stay here so we need our personal space.
This means we are looking for a larger than average residence.
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 02:04

So we could look at buying somewhere for around 1600gp three times the upper end of the average market price for average area, to have room for workshop, stables and a garden maybe.

Or maybe 10,000 gp for something in the lower end of high class?
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 02:08

Does this manufacturing tax apply if products are not being sold?
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 02:18

Gardens are a commodity reserved for the wealthy, obviously space is a premium in the city, so i'm not sure about that... It would depend upon location.

As for the manufacturing tax, it is unfortunately a price we have to pay. The city cannot be sure that we are not selling our produce without paying our taxes on the items. As it stands there is a tarrif levvied on produce brought into the city and goods manufactured within its boundaries, full-stop.

I don't know whether House Cannith are paying this tax for Anvil's forge in the Cogs, but i would presume so, otherwise the tax office would have informed him of duties owed.
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 02:30

Residential areas.

Northedge has a reputation for being the most residential of Sharn's quarters, but these locations are considered to be quite desirable, especially the upper wards.

Central Plateau is mainly reserved for business.

Dura has some reasonable locations in its upper and middle wards, mainlyin Highwater (upper), Broken Arch (middle) and Stormhold (middle).

Tavick's Landing is somewhere that has more tolerance to a diverity of races, with it being the 'entrance' to Sharn, the upper wards have a couple of wealthy districts and the middle wards Greywall's is primarily a Karrn district so i wouldn't want to live there, however Little Barrington is perhaps somewhere we could look into. However Upper Tavick's Landing is not adventurer friendly, with varying laws from weapons and spell licenses to dress codes......

And then there is Ivy Towers in upper Middle Menthis Plateau, a nice quiet area but well located.

These are purely residential districts, we could live almost anywhere, we aren't limited to these choices by any means.
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 02:50

Tavick's Landing sounds good, whereabouts is Little Barrington?
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 03:16

Little Barrington is on the southern tip of the city, but unfortunately i've been informed that most residences there are too small for our requirements.
I've been sent the following list of available residences that would suit us.

Smoky Towers - Middle Menthis
Onatar's Walk, Falchion Tower.
Rent: n/a, Buy: 900 gold

Deathsgate - Middle Tavicks Landing
Halden's View, Marksman's Tower.
Rent: 75 gold/month, Buy: 850 gold

Oakbridge - Middle Northedge
Hanging Bridge, Greenwall Tower.
Rent: 90 gold/month, Buy: 1100 gold

Ivy Towers - Upper Menthis
Fern View, Juniper Tower.
Rent: 70 gold/month, Buy: 750 gold

Centre Bridge - Lower Menthis
Exectioner's Row, Kendrik Tower.
Rent: 60 gold/month, Buy: 650 gold

(OOC - if you look through the Sharn District Guide in the Download section for more details on the areas it will save me a shit load of typing Where to Live? Icon_tongue)
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 03:19

Quote :
To rent an average residence it would cost us between 10 - 40 gold a month.

So double that for five of us. And add 10 % equals .....erm
( Ajax vanishes for an hour )
22-88 gold a Month ! Probably more as we want stables and a workshop. Hmmm looks like 30 GP each is the kind of area we need to be spending

As for area's Tavick sounds good. Cosmo... Cosmic...... Mixed, busy, less hassle from the Watch and with people coming and going probably good opportunities to pick up work

Oh yes and 'flea-bitten' ! I had a bath just two days ago and killed them all. So there
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 11:50

Well, Smoky Towers sounds like a lively area, and Deathsgate has the advantages of being near to our possible new guild as well as providing more direct access to the routes out of Sharn. Oakbridge sounds like the nicest of the quiet areas, and it's pretty close to the exits as well.
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 19:24

maybe it's time for a quick poll about the new home, I vote for either

Deathsgate - Middle Tavicks Landing
Halden's View, Marksman's Tower.
to Buy: 850 gold

As Kapek has pointed out if we are to join the guild this one is the closest to it.

to Buy: 1100 gold

As this is the quietest I think this would be a nice place to retreat to after all the chaos of adventure.

Just my two copper pieces worth.
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 22:14

From a purely selfish perspective, i quite like Oakbridge. It's a nice area, and close to Shae Lias which is an elven community, a nice place to go shopping for my new outfits and traditional cuisine.
Also it's close to Stoneyard which is full of parks and orchards and has a high shifter population for Ajax.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet
Race: Not telling ;)
Classes: Monk 4/Rogue 1/Drunken Master 2/Five Animals Fist Fighter 2

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 00:25

Maybe we should save up until we can buy a pub?
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 02:09

Oakbridge sounds nice to me, although I do think Loric raised a damn fine point. Perhaps when we are richer we can upgrade to a pub ?
Back to top Go down
Katerina
Deity
Katerina

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 02:38

Apparently i was misinformed by an office junior with regard to the manufacturing tax. It is substantially less than we thought at first. It is 3% of the property's value per year, making things much more affordable.

More Details:

to Buy: 1100 gold

This spacious residence is in a the highly desirable Oakbridge district. Cleverly designed as part of the renowned 'Hanging Bridge', it sits over the lush gardens and orchards of Stoneyard, clinging to the side of the bridge with an apparent precariousness yet sturdily supported by one of the city's 'flying butresses'.
Recently in use as a metal-smiths it is fully equipped to continue this trade.
It is a large, well consructed building within a safe and friendly neighbourhood.

Features include:
Four spacious bedrooms with views extenting over the magnificent Central Plateau.
A large kitchen/dining area.
Spacious lounge with adjoining balcony with views over Stonyeyard's parks.
Stabling designed to house four horses with additional space for a reasonable sized cart.
Workshop with well fitted, sturdy workbenches and amenities fitted for the safe use of a small forge. Storage space is included in the form of a small out-room to the rear of the workshop.
Indoor wash-room.

This building is begrudgingly being sold by the family of the previous owner, reduced in price for a quick sale. It has been independently valued at 1500 gold.

Clients must be aware that there is a manufacuring tax of 75 gold/annum on this property due to the facilities conveyed.
Back to top Go down
Ajax the astounding
Journeyman
Ajax the astounding

Character sheet

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 03:02

Sounds great to me.
Thanks for putting in all this work on finding us a place Katerina
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where to Live? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where to Live?   Where to Live? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where to Live?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Point of Infinity :: In-Character :: The Slaughterman's Delight-
Jump to: