Point of Infinity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Monk Variants

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet
Race: Omnipotent Being
Classes: God

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeFri 04 Dec 2009, 01:34

I've uploaded a compilation of monk variants from Dragon Magazines.
It can be found in the download section or you can get it here.
Back to top Go down
http://point-of-infinity.blogspot.com
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet
Race: Not telling ;)
Classes: Monk 4/Rogue 1/Drunken Master 2/Five Animals Fist Fighter 2

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 21:38

Right then, as you mentioned about 4th level being the cut-off point for retro-change I'd better get my finger out!

Is it possible to do the sidewinder template, but add in one of the variants too?
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 23:07

I'm ok with you taking the Sidewinder variant, but i'm not sure about taking another variant within that structure......
Let me know what you're thinking and i'll look into it.

(feel free to p.m. me if you don't want everyone to know your sneaky shinannegans Wink)
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 10:30

I've looked into this a bit more for you...

As was similarly discussed with James' character options, the Sidewinder Monk is a variant class, this makes it a CORE CLASS. So i would say that another variant would probably not be possible. However, I'm not averse to the different FIGHTING STYLES that crop up all over the place, these can easily be added into a monk class. but they do seem to limit your feat options...

Obviously there may be room for some negotiation depending on your plans. If it fits with the feel of the character and isn't over-powered I'd say that there's a chance. After all if you seem to waltz through too many fights then i'll just have to make them harder Wink
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet
Race: Warforged
Classes: Artificer 6/ Fighter (Bodyguard)2

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeThu 07 Jan 2010, 18:53

The Waltz fighting style always has been a little over powered ! Monk Variants Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 08:04

Hmm I have a question about drunken master. In the Complete Warrior, the toned down version of drunken master does not make it clear if your unarmed damage increases as per monk? (Not much point doing a monk prestige class if the damage doesn't stack!)

Having said that, the example drunken master appears to have 1d10 unarmed damage which is more than the monk levels should give it, but one category less than the total levels would give it? So I'm confused!!!
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 08:40

It looks like a typo. Like you say it should be 1d8 at 5th level monk, and as it doesn't say that the unarmed damage stacks then i can't see where it comes from, if they stacked it should be 2d6. TBH i don't usually pay much attention to the sample characters as they seem to be consistently wrong Monk Variants Icon_neutral
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 12:10

I've scoured the errata and FAQs and can't find any reason why this anomally exists. I think we should just put it down to a miscalculation or something....
Back to top Go down
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan 2010, 01:26

Yeah it is a bit weird. Altho thinking about it, if it's a typo, it seems more likely it was meant to say d12 that would mean it had stacked. I mean you'd have to get 2 digits wrong if it was supposed to be d8 eh?

Ah well, I might have to have a look at the old Drunken master, which was much better, and increased your unarmed damage rather than giving a bonus with improvised weapons etc.
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan 2010, 21:31

Ok I've looked into it some more and this is what i think....

I would be happy for you to take the Drunken Master class from CW with the addition of the unarmed damage progression of the version in S&F ie.

1st - 1d8
5th - 1d10
9th - 1d12

I think that this is where the error has come from and i don't think that these are unreasonable values for a character thats roots lie in unarmed combat. TBH i think that they have forgotten to put it in as otherwise the class is overly nerfed.
Back to top Go down
Chris
Novitiate
Chris

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 00:37

Hmm thanks for that.

I'm still not sure what to do now tho lol. Think I may have to skip drunken master, which is a shame, but I can't really see the point of a monk prestige class if the damage doesn't stack.

I make the distinction between stacking and the increases in S&F as I would probably have d8 damage before I can get into any prestige classes hehe (and not sure how many levels of dm I would do). If only there was a feat that let all of your classes stack for working out your unarmed damage!

Ho hum!
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitimeSat 16 Jan 2010, 03:25

Looking through D&D forums about the drunken master it does indeed seem that most peoples opinions of the PrC are not good. It also does seem that all monk abilities end once the PrC is taken.
Not sure why.... perhaps too many other features are gained, who knows?????

As for a feat for unarmed damage stacking, there are ones for progression with other classes (monk/rogue etc... (i think)) so there may well be one, i dunno.

Let me look into it, it may be that increasing in monk unarmed damage is something that can be implemented.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Monk Variants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monk Variants   Monk Variants I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monk Variants
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Point of Infinity :: Out-of-Character :: Character :: Levelling and Character-
Jump to: