Point of Infinity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet
Race: Warforged
Classes: Artificer 6/ Fighter (Bodyguard)2

Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff Empty
PostSubject: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 07:16

I have two questions

1/ If I use my shield (as it's spiked) as a weapon and attack as long as I don't attack with my other hand in the same round does it count as off-hand fighting? As Ian raised an interested idea for my weapon familiar later on, which has me thinking I may take Improved Shield Bash so I keep my AC if I attack with it. And they are a nice load of shield improving feats.

2/ What are the rules if any for crafting my own special type of weapon - I'm guessing it would be exotic but I like the idea of coming up with something I just wondered if it was a/ possible and b/ what the rules for it would be.

Thanks for your time

Great game !
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet
Race: Omnipotent Being
Classes: God

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 09:24

1. With regards to attacking with a shield as a primary weapon.

This should be ok as long as you don't attack with your other weapon. As there is no real definition of left and right handed I would consider this to simply be an act of focusing your attack with a different hand, and of course there is the added bonus of being able to use wands or other items in your 'primary' hand. Basically consider your shield arm to be 'primary' for such attacks.
This is of course subject to me checking the rules to make sure there is no conflicting ruling.

2. With regards to creating your own weapon.

There is no reason why you couldn't, although as you mention it would be exotic and therefore would require the relevant weapon proficiency feat. If you come up with an idea then we can look at existing weapons and try to draw some comparisons for damge and threat ranges etc.
( if your looking for a reach weapon that does 3d6 slashing/piercing/bludgeoning damage with a 15-20 x4 threat range then i'm sorry but NO! )

And i' glad you're enjoying the game - i know i am Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
http://point-of-infinity.blogspot.com
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 19:19

Damn that's just the weapon stats I was looking for ! LOL
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 23:09

There's an interesting discussion about the shield as a primary weapon here.
Especially note the lengthy post from Weylin.

This does change my views somewhat as to whether you could use it as a primary weapon.
I would be interested to see where you were going with this in order to make a satisfactory judgement, so as it stands i can't make a ruling either way at this point....
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 01:48

OK,

this is how I see it but I'm open to all views.

If I have a spiked shield and a scimtar if I attacked with both shield and scimtar then sure that's two weapon fighting and all normal penalties apply. Losing AC from shield til next round.

If I attack with scimtar and defend with shield normal combat round.

If I attack shield and hold scimtar parrying ect. (no real action with it) It's a single attack I lose AC for round (unless I have Improved Shield Bash Feat- Which means I keep AC) and there is no penalty as my Off-hand for that round is in affect the Scimtar which I'm not attacking with.

As to improving the shield or taking Shield as my weapon familiar - any bonus enchantments have to be applied to SHield in two parts one is the spikes i.e the Attack enchancement
and any defence enchantments are added to the shield part.

So in effect I have a single item but to improve it I have to enchant two parts any + to damage doesn't apply to AC and the viceversa any AC bonus doesn't add to damage.

How does that sound so far ?

I'm sorry if I'm beiong a pain
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 03:37

Pick, heavy 8 gp 1d6 ×4 — 6 lb. Piercing
Rapier 20 gp 1d6 18–20/×2 — 2 lb. Piercing
Scimitar 15 gp 1d6 18–20/×2 — 4 lb. Slashing

from the Players Handbook:-

So if I can make my own to be a weapon familiar I'd like to get a better range on damage.

Shield with spikes and blade rim.
I was thinking 1d8 19-20 x3 - 20 lbs. Piercing ? I figure 1d8 not 1d6 due to the extra weight like battleaxe,flail and warhammer.

Or maybe made it a two hammered job hhhmmm take the Improved shield bash feat so I can use it and keep AC then if I use another weapon I do get penalties as the size and weight make it hard to use as a weapon/shield one handed

No penalties for just using it as a shield.

Two handed weapon
2d4 x4 -20lbs. The image I have is something like the head of my lovely morningstar larger and without a long handle, but with two hand straps at the back to wield with in both hands/ or to use as an arm strap on one arm.

One handed as a weapon normal penalties apply/AC kept by having the Improved shield bash feat.
If you think it's an exotic weapon and that I need an extra exotic weapon feat to use it then mmmm I'd need to think some more, I just figure that I'd basically be taking the Improved shield bash feat to keep the AC from it, and the two weapons listed below do bang on damage for what I'm looking at without the need for a feat

Ranseur 2d4 ×3 — 12 lb. Piercing
Scythe 2d4 ×4 — 10 lb. Piercing or slashing

Trying not to bambozzle you or me LOL , having read the whole of that thread there is alot of views about the whole shield bash thing. But I think it's pretty straight forward
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 07:05

Following our conversation here goes....

Super Spiked Shield (Heavy Steel Shield +2 AC)
1d8 19-20 x3 - 20 lbs. Piercing and bludgeoning. 1 handed.

This weapon can be used two handed and as long as the bearer has Improved Shield Bash they will still benefit from its AC bonus.

I was thinking that perhaps a trigger mechanism within the shield could have blades revealed around the rim of the shield, but as this is done the spikes retract giving you slashing and bludgeoning damage. This trigger can be pulled as part of a move action but requires a full-round action to reset.

Cost - perhaps 300 gp (with the trigger idea i think a price of 400-500 gp) would be reasonable due to the combined threat range and multiplier - obviously this would be a market price not a crafting price). And then I'm sure you'd take the time and make a masterwork one Wink
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 20:05

wow that sounds wonderful ! I'll take two just add them to my tab ..... LOL

Love the trigger idea !

Now without wanting to kick myself in the teeth, Ian pointed out that there are no weapons with 19-20 x3 - now of course I'm very happy with the idea but most do have either x3 or 19-20 x2 / 18-20 x2 I don't want to be since to be making/getting some uber weapon on the other hand given your trigger idea maybe it could be piercing or bludgeoning with x3 and move action / or full round action (in effect putting one weapon away and drawing another) pull trigger it becomes slashing or bludgeoning 19-20 x2. To my mind thats no different than having to change weapon.

So yes I'll start making one a masterwork version ready for when (3 levels time) I can enchant it and make it into my weapon familiar.
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 20:06

Oh I'm taking Improved Shield Bash this level then and not silver tracery!
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 20:15

I was thinking the same thing . Once i got home and checked i noticed the whole threat /multiplier thing and i'm happy for you to have the differing values for piercing and slashing.
So here goes again Wink

Super Spiked Shield (Heavy Steel Shield +2 AC)
1d8 x3 - 20 lbs. Piercing and bludgeoning. 1 handed.

or

1d8 19-20 x2 - Slashing and bludgeoning

This weapon can be used two handed and as long as the bearer has Improved Shield Bash they will still benefit from its AC bonus.

A trigger mechanism within the shield has blades revealed around the rim of the shield, but as this is done the spikes retract giving you slashing and bludgeoning damage. This trigger can be pulled as part of a move action but requires a full-round action to reset.

Cost - 450 gp
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 25 Nov 2009, 20:45

Yep sounds great I'll cross of the 225 gp cost + 150 for masterwork = 375gp and start work on it then.
That makes me mmmm broke I have 25 sp and 37 cp left. Damn good job I don't need to eat!
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet
Race: Talenta Halfling
Classes: Ranger 4 Fighter 4 Halfling Outrider 5 Heir of Siberys 3

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009, 00:41

I hate to add extra complications (er no, lies, I love it Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff Icon_biggrin ) but you only pay 1/3 of the market price in crafting materials so that would be 250 gp. Also if you want it to be a masterwork shield in addition, thatv would add another 50 (150/3) for a total of 300 gp.
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeThu 26 Nov 2009, 02:56

great I'll add the 75gp back on. Thanks Ian!
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 13:21

Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff IMG_5213"

This is the thing I was talking about (I hope this has worked.)

Last edited by madaxe-mcbrutal on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 10:16; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 23:21

There is one pic there and another that isn't.
And all i can say is HOLY CRAP!!!!!

That is one nasty looking contraption
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009, 23:49

Yeah, I'm not sure where the ghost picture came from. But it's sorted now.

Last edited by madaxe-mcbrutal on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 07:37; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Infinity
Deity
Infinity

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 00:14

I've sorted permissions so that you can now upload to the galleries.
However bear in mind that there is only 20 Mb allowed in total so that's not many pictures. I've posted the crazy shield there.
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeMon 30 Nov 2009, 00:50

Wow that's a wicked shield !
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 02 Dec 2009, 10:21

I found a feat called Agile Shield Fighter (PHB II p, 74) that gives you a -2 penalty to attacks made when shield-bashing as well as a primary attack, rather than the usual horrid two-weapon fighting ones. You need Imp Shield Bash and Shield Spec, but you were thinking about getting those anyway, yes?
Back to top Go down
Openstheway
Adept

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeWed 02 Dec 2009, 19:04

Oh that's nice, I'll think about adding that to the list of feats I'd like, damn it's getting big.
Back to top Go down
Madaxe McBrutal
Adept
Madaxe McBrutal

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitimeThu 03 Dec 2009, 03:38

Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff   Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shield Bash Off hand fighting and other weapon stuff
Page 1 of 1